Sunday, May 23, 2010

Scow 2010 crew introductions: Jordan Mallon.


I was born and raised in Ottawa, Ontario where I did my undergrad in vertebrate paleontology at Carleton University. My Bachelor's thesis assessed sexual differences in the horned dinosaur genus Chasmosaurus. A few years ago I moved to Calgary, Alberta to start my Ph.D.

My dissertation focuses on the evolutionary paleoecology of the large herbivorous dinosaurs from the Dinosaur Park Formation. In short, I'm using tooth wear and various skull measurements to determine what these different dinosaurs were eating through time and whether the structure of their trophic relationships was altered.
My interest in horned dinosaurs has carried over from my undergrad, and in my 'spare' time, I still enjoy researching them. Right now, I am working on resolving the palaeoecology and evolutionary relationships of Anchiceratops and Arrhinoceratops from the Horseshoe Canyon Formation of Alberta. Darren's scow trip comes at an opportune time because it will give me the chance to revisit the quarries where some of these animals were found and to verify their distribution in the rock record. This type of groundwork is important for assessing species identification and biostratigraphy. I expect to be on board the scow for a few weeks between Dry Island Buffalo Jump Provincial Park and the town of Drumheller.

No comments:

Post a Comment